Do you love lasagna?
Do you never cook it because of how much of a nuisance it is to make?
Congratulations, we have something in common.
Actually I should say we had something in common. Now, not so much.
We can fix that though. After you try this recipe you will be making it all the time, and we will have lasagna in common again.
This recipe takes all of about 15 minutes to put together and is done in just over an hour start to finish. It’s so easy that you don’t even need a measuring cup.
It also freezes uncooked quite well, so you can spend the 15 minutes on the weekend and still have an awesome dinner in the middle of a hectic work week.
- 1 box (16 oz usually) of lasagna noodles.
- 1 lb chicken Italian sausage. (any ground meat will work, but the sausage works best since it takes care of seasoning the lasagna for us.)
- 2 cans of pasta sauce
- 2 eggs
- 1 container of ricotta cheese (15 oz)
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (finely shredded works best)
Not much of a shopping list is there. Well, on to the destructions.
Building the lasagna
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Take your pound of chicken Italian sausage and brown it while you are doing the next couple steps. Set it aside.
- Grab yourself a bowl and mix the eggs, the ricotta cheese, and half of the mozzarella cheese. Set it aside.
- Take your 13 x 9 x 3 lasagna pan and spread about 2/5 of a can of pasta sauce in the bottom.
- Next we will start building our layers.
- First layer (in order): 4 or 5 lasagna noodles, sufficient to cover the bottom of the pan, 1/3 of your cheese mixture, half of the meat, half of whats left of your mozzarella (about a cup), 2/5 can of sauce.
- Second layer (in order): 4 or 5 lasagna noodles, sufficient to cover the pan, 1/3 of the cheese mixture, 2/5 cup of sauce. (If your guesstimating the sauce right, you should have started on your second can at this point)
- Third layer (once again, in order): 4 or 5 lasagna noodles, sufficient to cover the pan, the last 1/3 of the cheese mixture, the rest of the meat, 2/5 cup of sauce.
- Fourth and last layer (in order): 4 or 5 lasagna noodles, sufficient to cover the pan, the last cup of the shredded cheese, the last 2/5 can of the sauce.
Cover with foil and bake for 50-60 minutes.
Remove foil and bake another 5-10 minutes. (great time to put your garlic bread in with it)
Let rest for 15 minutes and serve.
Enjoy the looks of admiration and take the evening off since you slaved over a hot stove all afternoon making dinner.
Tweaks you can try